The Palais Garnier (pronounced: [palɛ ɡaʁnje]; English: Garnier Palace) is a 1,979-seat opera house, which was built from 1861 to 1875 for the Paris Opera. It was originally called the Salle des Capucines because of its location on theBoulevard des Capucines in the 9th arrondissement of Paris, but soon became known as the the Palais Garnier in recognition of its opulence and its architect,Charles Garnier. The theatre was also often referred to as the Opéra Garnier, theOpéra de Paris or simply the Opéra. It was the primary home of the Paris Opera and its associated Paris Opera Ballet until 1989, when a new 2,700-seat house, theOpéra Bastille, with elaborate facilities for set and production changes, opened at the Place de la Bastille. The Paris Opera now mainly uses the Palais Garnier for ballet.